Sunday, June 7, 2009

Bicycles Are Red Hot

I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like
-Queen





In this era of eco-consciousness, bicycles are the fashionable and functional way to go. There's nothing more darling than a girl in a sprightly dress with her hair trailing behind her as she breezes along the countryside or city streets on her bicycle. And, as a gentleman friend recently pointed out, bikes position a girl's body in "the hottest angle." Hmmm...
Unfortunately, my fashion fantasy was abruptly halted when my bike was stolen a few weeks ago. I am now on a fervent hunt for a new one. Vogue.com recently had a wonderful article on bicycle options.
While I would love a custom Vanilla Commuter from Portland, Oregon, I don't think I can wait out the five year waiting list that comes with the Birkin of custom bicycles. Seeing as that I'm also a bit limited on funds at the moment, I'll have to trawl the local thrift stores in hopes of procuring a new set of wheels. Or perhaps I'll purchase a separate frame and wheels and have my fixie-loving friend assemble one for me. Anything can be spruced up with a good paint job, right?

Pictures from the NYT

No comments:

Post a Comment